Sunday, December 12, 2010

Day 12: Holiday Tidbits

--I don't know what the greatest Christmas gift I've ever received is. Some of things I remember getting are a TurboGrafx-16 video game system, a videotape of Debbie Gibson's music videos which I played to death, and a bunch of Garfield books. My grandfather once gave me a tackle box that I still use.
--It's funny how, when TBS first started playing a 24 hour marathon of A Christmas Story, everyone thought it was a stupid idea. Now it's such a tradition of the Christmas television season that everyone would be in an uproar if they discontinued the marathon.
--The greatest killer of the Christmas spirit is Christmas music.
--My favorite Christmas album is the one from Michael W Smith. I have it playing right now. It's not just a collection of different renditions of holiday classics, but it's more of a production. Most of the songs are original and lead into the next one.
--I remember a ceramic nativity set that my mom painted. I have fond memories of that set. I don't know if we still have it. If we do, and if I am ever able to start a family, I'm claiming it.
--I can only recall one or two instances of a perfect Christmas. That occurs when there is a snowstorm is going on outside while the festivities are happening.
--I am still searching for the perfect rendition of O Holy Night. There are some nice ones out there, like the one from Josh Groban. But the closest I could find is the one performed by the children's choir in Home Alone. It would be perfect if it stuck with the traditional lyrics.
--If Judaism was the predominant religion in America, would we have eight days off from work in honor of Hannukah?
--Am I the only person who doesn't know the words to Auld Lang Syne?
--I seriously don't understand why our extended family never got together on Christmas day. We'd always celebrated with our immediate family on Christmas and got together two weeks later to exchange gifts with the rest of the family. Would it really have been that much of a hassle?
--I get irritated by people who get all up in arms over the difference between the phrases "Happy Holidays" and "Merry Christmas". You can tell that they're Christians because they see it as an attempt to take the true meaning of Christmas out of the holiday. But seriously, would Jesus Christ have gotten upset about the phrase? Would He really have condemned someone for wishing Him a Happy Holidays instead of a Merry Christmas?

No comments: